History of the belfry
The history of the belfry of Bergues is animated, as well as
that of the city. Its history merges almost with it, since, like it, it will
be destroyed many times, rebuilt, improved:
1112 - Construction of the
End XIVème - Construction of the second belfry.
1544 - First automatic chime
1558 - Set fire to city and belfry by the French - All the frame
disappears in the flames but the tower resists.
1628 - New chime of 24 bells.
1790 - The Bouchette deputy wishes, in vain, the destruction of the
belfry. The lion of Flanders which dominates the belfry
(wind vane) is cut down and replaced by a Phrygian cap.
1815 - The lion which is reproduced on the armorial bearings of the city regains the top of the belfry
1940 - Set
fire to by the Germans at the time of the seat of the city (operation
"Dynamo" - May 30).
1944 - Dynamiting of the tower by the Germans at the time of their
retirement (September 16).
1961 - Inauguration of the belfry and the chime. (July 2)
2004 - Classification historic building (November
2005 - Classification with the title of the world inheritance
of humanity at the time of the general assembly of UNESCO with
Durban (South Africa)
Mise à jour :
jeudi 07 août 2008
Mots clés -