Functions of the belfry
Probably, the first communal tower also served as single door of city from the point more threatening, the hill of Groenberg.
The belfry will keep this function until 1914. Until this date, two guetteurs living in the bell-tower (with the top of the bells), supervised the city and its neighbourhoods (enemy & fires).
The burgomaster and his aldermen met in the first stage of the tower until 1586, time when Philippe II (of Spain) decided fusion of the city and châtellenie. The municipal authorities then left the belfry to integrate Landhuys, on the other side of the place.
Tower of the "Banklocke" (official bell of the commune) then turn of the bells, the belfry nowadays keeps this function on the level of the advertisement of the hour (every fifteen minutes) and of the chime, musical instrument.
Mise à jour : jeudi 07 août 2008